Navigating the System

Empower yourself as a patient, and learn how to get the most out of your benefits. Each plan is different, so this section of our guide will help you understand what it is that you should look for when you receive your insurance information.  This section will help you navigate the health care system when you need care.

Topic Area: Getting care, what's covered

How can I find help for Behavioral Health or Substance Use Disorder needs?

There are many resources available to help you find behavioral health care or substance use disorder services.

If you or someone you know is in crisis and need help immediately

  • Call 911 in case of an emergency or life threatening situation.
  • If you’re in New Hampshire, you can call 2-1-1 for immediate help 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24 hours a day at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). A trained counselor will help you with any problems you are experiencing.
  • Community Mental Health Centers (CMHC) offer 24 hour a day crisis intervention services. You can find the list of CMHCs in New Hampshire here.
  • The NH Alcohol and Drug Treatment Locator lists treatment agencies and individual practitioners offering substance use disorder services, including evaluation, withdrawal management, outpatient counseling, residential treatment, recovery supports and other types of services. Use the locator here.  
  • New Hampshire Recovery Hub is a new resource developed by the state of New Hampshire to help those in need find resources and information on recovery.

Find help through your doctor and health insurance

If you have health insurance, it is very likely that your plan will cover at least some mental health and chemical dependency services. Your doctor and health plan can help direct you to services you need. To find out more:

  • Call your doctor. Your primary care doctor can arrange for a clinical evaluation in order to find out what mental health or chemical dependency services you might need.
  • Call your insurance company at the number listed on your insurance card. A plan representative can tell you about your benefits and help you find service providers in your insurance network. Out-of-network providers are usually more expensive. It is your responsibility to make sure any providers you see are in your network.

Use resources available to you at work

If you receive benefits through your employer, you may have access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP). EAPs provide services to support employees through personal or work-related issues, and often include professional help for mental health needs and chemical dependency, as well as stress, grief, and work-related conflicts.

To find out what EAP services might be available to you contact your Human Resources department or whoever is responsible for coordinating benefits at your place of employment.

If you don’t have health insurance

You can find out how to get health insurance in New Hampshire. Learn more

Community Mental Health Centers are located in 10 regions of New Hampshire, and provide publicly funded mental health services to eligible individuals and families. You can find the list of CMHCs in New Hampshire here. Contact the CMHC in your region to find out if you are eligible to receive services.

Where can I find more information?

The New Futures Resource Guide for Addiction and Mental Health Care Consumers has more information about insurance coverage for addiction and mental health care services. Read the guide here.


Was this answer helpful?