How do I get health insurance through my employer?


Most Americans get their health insurance through their jobs or through a family member's employer-based plan. Coverage through an employer is usually your best opportunity for comprehensive health insurance. In many cases, the employer pays a substantial portion of the cost through monthly premiums. Member contribution is the portion of the premium that you are responsible for and is usually deducted from your paycheck.

Depending on the plan you have, you may have substantial out-of-pocket costs due to cost sharing, such as deductibles, co-insurance and co-payments. These out-of-pocket costs are in addition to your monthly premiums and are paid when you use your coverage and are explained further in the Managing your cost section of the guide.

If you are enrolled in employer-sponsored coverage and decide to seek coverage through the state's health insurance Marketplace, you likely would not be eligible for premium tax credits, and you would miss out on the amount of money your employer is willing to contribute to your health insurance costs through a workplace insurance plan. If your employer-sponsored coverage is considered "unaffordable" or fails to meet minimum value standards, you may be eligible for the New Hampshire Health Insurance Premium Payment Program (NH HIPP)

Talk with your employer to see if health insurance coverage is a benefit that's offered to you. Your employer can also tell you whether an insurance plan offered meets minimum value and can provide you with information to determine if the plan is affordable for you.

If you resign, quit your job or get fired, it's considered a qualifying life event, and as long as you provide proof within the required time, you can apply for insurance through a special enrollment period. If you leave your job or lose your right to obtain health insurance through your employer, it may also be possible to maintain similar coverage under a federal law called COBRA or under New Hampshire's State Continuation Law, but you would have to pay the entire premium (employer and employee portions) yourself. The COBRA or continuation premium typically will include an administrative surcharge of 2% in addition to the base premium.

You voted 'Yes'