The statewide reports identify the range of provider charges and insurer prices for the most common procedures in New Hampshire. These reports were created using data submitted by insurance carriers to the New Hampshire Comprehensive Health Care Information System (CHIS).
There are three separate tables provided:
- Statewide Summary. This table includes data for all carriers and insurer products.
- By Carrier. This table provides charge and price ranges on the carrier level, with all products consolidated.
- By Product. This table provides charge and price ranges on the product level, with all carriers consolidated.
The tables include charge and price values at the 25th percentile, the median (or 50th percentile), and the 75th percentile. These ranges were selected to minimize the influence of outlier cases on the data.
For each report, the following filters were applied to the data:
- Medical claims with dates of service between January 2015 and December 2015 were selected;
- Data were included only where there were more than 30 observations for the given procedure code, carrier, product filter;
- Only outpatient and professional office claims are included;
- Only claims for providers located in New Hampshire are included;
- All prices and charges are for 1 unit of service
The following carriers are included in these reports:
- Anthem Blue Cross ("ANTHEM")
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care ("HPHC")
- Aetna, Unicare, United, Tufts, Benefit Management, MVP (consolidated as "OTHER")
Charges and prices for procedures are identified separately for claims with modifiers 26 (professional component), TC (technical component), NU (new equipment), and RR (rental equipment). Codes that do not list a modifier reflect the charge and price for all claims that reported no modifiers or reported other modifiers not noted above.
Charges and prices are identified separately for professional (i.e. office based) claims and hospital claims.