When I have a qualifying life event, who keeps track and do I need to provide any proof?


Visual summary of qualifying life events

Usually it's only possible to change health plans during the open enrollment period or when your policy renews. However, when you have a major life event, you may qualify for a special enrollment period. The following are examples of qualifying life events:

  • Getting married or divorced
  • Having a baby
  • Adopting a child or placing a child for adoption or foster care
  • Moving
  • Losing job-based coverage, including resigning, getting laid off or getting fired
  • Turning 26 and can no longer be a dependent on a parent's plan
  • Gaining United States citizenship
  • Losing other health coverage

If you have a qualifying life event, you should review your health insurance coverage to see if you need to make any changes. During these qualifying events, you, your spouse and your dependent children may be eligible for a special enrollment period. Act quickly because you only have 60 days to apply for an individual plan and 30 days to apply if you're enrolled in an employer-based plan.