Medical billing mistakes happen. If the amount on your Explanation of Benefits (EOB) doesn't match the bill from your health care provider:
- Request an itemized bill from your health care provider.
- Compare the Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes, codes used to describe the services, from your EOB against your medical bill line-by-line and make sure that they match.
- Check the EOB and your bill for duplicate charges.
- Call your health care provider and ask them to review the bill and make sure it includes the services that they ordered and that you received. Sometimes a provider bills for more expensive services than what was received.
- Contact your health insurance company and the finance department at the hospital or medical facility to ask about the differences in the bills.
- If you were denied health insurance coverage for a service, learn about what to do if your claim is denied here: /guide/question/what-do-i-do-if-my-claim-denied